October 15, 2011

Road Show

A couple of weeks after coming to Little Rock there was an announcement that a planning meeting was being held for the Road Show. Not having a lot dictating my schedule I went to the meeting. There I met Sarie and Evelyn who had already done some brainstorming with others the week prior. They had picked the song "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey as the theme was "We Believe". That night we revised and wrote new words to that song. As they found I had free time and both of them are students (one has children as well), they daubed me in charge.
 Youth from the Road Show with our "Go and Do Award"
It was a very wonderful and rewarding experience. I had to ask many people for help that I had never before met. Through that I met some amazing people. I also got to know the youth of the ward, and they are wonderful. I guess if I did get called to Young Women's it would not scare me so much now. We had one Wednesday night devoted to the road show and we practiced and gave out parts and learned the song and made posters. The next 2 weeks we had half an hour practice before young men's and young women's started. Then ready or not, it was time for the Road Show.
I actually dreamed about the Road Show all week, which let me know I really was nervous about it. But all went well. We negotiated to perform first which allowed us ample time to set up and get ready. We had 2 men, Zach and Preston, from our ward on electric guitars, and they take a while to set up. Also key was Lindsey Bugg, who choreographed the dance and led the youth in that part while I helped the singers. Good division of labor. Well, they did awesome! One microphone didn't work, but that is minor. As anticipated all performances got prizes, ours was "Go and Do Prize" for having it match the theme the best. I was so proud of the youth....and Bishop too.  Down below are the words as well as the performance.
Don’t Stop Believin’ –by Journey - Road Show Style

Don’t stop believin’
Hold on to the feelin’
The spirit will testify [of the truth]!

Just an UALR girl, livin’ in West Maumelle
She searched for the truth with all her might
Just a Mormon boy, born and raised in Little Rock
He shared the gospel with her o-n-e night
He testified about the truth,
Felt the spirit and changed her ways
She was baptized and now her life
Will go on and on and on and on
 Faith comes-while feasting –upon the Gospel truths
Plant a seed so you will know!
Fasting, reading, --constantly praying
Your testimony will grow.
 Working hard to C-T-R
Singing Hymns in my car.
Seminary can start my day, -every time
Some might sleep, some might drool
But, we know the golden rule
Savior’s love has no end
It goes on and on and on and on
 Faith comes-while feasting –upon the Gospel truths
Plant a seed so you will know!
Fasting, reading, --constantly praying
Your testimony will grow.
 
Don’t stop believin’
Hold on to the feelin’
The spirit will testify [of the truth].

Don’t stop believin’
Hold on to the feelin’
The spirit will testify [of the truth].

Don’t stop!
After the Road Show there was a family dance. I don't know that I had ever been to a family dance, but it was so much fun. It was hysterical! All the kids that were having a great time and had no idea what to do, the youth flirting with each other, older generations having fun with the songs they knew. It was a grand time.
The following day at church Jon and I both spoke in sacrament. I chose Elder Uchtdorf's talks, Jon spoke using Elder Christopherson's. Then we were given the chance to teach gospel principles. Glad we are given opportunities to teach and work, even if just a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment