October 08, 2011

John William's Concert

 When Jon heard on the radio that there was going to be a John William's tribute concert being performed by the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra he called me right away and wanted me to check on it. I did and found out military discounts made the tickets $10 a piece (instead of $65). Boo-yah! So we got some sweet tickets.
The night of the show Jon was not feeling well, but that did not stop us from going to see this show. It was awesome! First up on the agenda was the Superman theme song (the conductor had a superman insignia on his jacket). Then came the Jaw's theme song. And as the music grew more intense all of the sudden some lights came on and we turned around to see a "shark" heading towards the stage! That was hilarious! Very creative! Then we went into 1941 march, which we were not familiar with, but was very cool. Then the somber music from Schindler's List. Then came the part everyone had been waiting for.....STAR WARS! They started with the theme song, of course. Then they moved on to Princess Leia's Theme. Both were very well performed. Then the storm troopers came on stage with a note from "D. Vader" that he was not impressed with their lack of "bad guy music". At which point the conductor began ranting about how everyone is a critic and wants to tell him how to run the show. And how dare this "D. Vader" think he can do that, especially when he sounds so funny, like he has allergies. Of course, as he says this, Darth Vader is coming up behind him and then proceeds to "choke" him using the "force". At this point the storm troopers drug the conductor off stage and Darth Vader conducted the Imperial March. I so wish I had caught that one on camera! Sorry y'all!
During intermission we got to talk to Bishop and his family who were also there. And they were kind enough to take our pictures. After intermission the show resumed with something I did not recognize (and has been plaguing me that I don't know). Then came excerpts from "Fiddler On The Roof" which won John William his first academy award. I love those songs....I am so glad I don't need the town matchmaker. ;) The orchestra then did the Olympic Fanfare from the 1984 Olympic games, followed by the Mission Theme (which everyone recognizes the part taken for NBC nightly news). Then it got really fun again as they performed Raiders' March and everyone could pretend like they were Indiana Jones again. The show finished up with movie clips played as the Symphony Orchestra performed the Theme from Jurassic Park. That was also amazingly performed. That was the end of the written program, but for an encore they also played the Harry Potter Theme song! Nice finish! So happy we can find cultural events both Jonny and I enjoy together! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment