June 16, 2012

Grandpa's Funeral

At the grave site
So many miracle happend that week and so many family members made it to the funeral. All 10 of the Checketts siblings made it. Of the 49 grandchildren, about 40 made it. All but one of the 10 living children/step children came. Many extended family members, his 2 living brothers, and so so many people who's lives he touched.
Having all my sibling three was so amazing to me. Heidi brought Nala and Tristen, and I shared a room with them in the Lloyds home. I love those kids! Thomas was able to fly out from Texas. Nikki, David and Charity were there. I got to know Charity a bit better. Emily and her Husbad Cameron came down from Idaho, as did Rachel and her current boyfriend. Both my parents were there along with Laura (who had just had ACL surgery), Carlos, Ben, and Timothy. There were over 300 present at the funeral. Through the viewing there was greating and hugging and crying. We had a prayer by his brother Glenn prior to going into the chapel. The program was lovely and is as follows:

In Loving Memory of Homer McKay LeBaron May 13, 1926-June 12, 2012

Pallbearers:
Thomas Checketts
Timothy Checketts
Benjamin Checketts
Todd Schlosser
Dallas Clark
Brayden Spaulding
Garin Spaulding
Bryce Spaulding
Alex Carbine
Ryan Carbine
McKay Rowley
Joseph Miller

Funeral Services Saturday June 16, 2012-2:00pm
Chorister-Taryn Nilsen
Organist-Mark Anderson

Opening Hymn-"O My Father"
Invocation-Kurt Rowley
French Hymn-Megan Rowley
Life Sketch-Dennis Brooks
Speakers-Laura Brooks, Nancy Checketts, Dorothy Tucker, Melody LeBaron, David LeBaron
Solo-Janiel Miller "Somewhere My Love"
Speaker on Life's Purpose-Gus Checketts
Solo-David LeBaron
Speaker-Kristine Carbine
Closing Remarks-Bishop Taylor
Closing Hymn- "Called to Serve"
Closing Prayer-Kelvin Nilsen

Interment-Heber City Cemetery
Dedication-Kelly Tucker

The service was amazing! I sat between Thomas Esplin (who is dating Rachel) and my friend Christina. I was thankful many times I did not have a speaking or singing part as I broke down crying many times. My wonderful cousin Taryn who conducted did amazing. I was so very thankful that she and my wonderful cousin Kayla were both there. They were what made Grandpa's remarriage so easy for me. I got a new grandma and 2 cousins my age! We have love being cousins through the years, but it has been a few since we were all back together again. I felt that way with cousins over and over again. I saw Jenny and her children for the first time in about 6 years. The same thing with Amber and her newly adopted little girl Gabby. And Westen and Brittin, and Heather and Todd, and many others that was like meeting for the first time, more especially on the Rowley (Grandma's) side. It was a giant family reunion like we have not had in a long time.
Grand children placing roses on the casket
After the funeral we went to the grave site where it was dedicated. But after the dedication no one wanted to leave. So we began singin hymns together. We sang "I am a Child of God", "Families can be Together Forever", "O my Father", and "God be with you till we meet again". Taryn, Megan, and I stood singing with our arms around eachother and tears rolling down our cheeks.
Finally we were ushered back to the church where a pot luck lunch was provided by the relief society sisters in Heber. Again we stayed and stayed. We laughed, and caught up and took pictures. We did not leave until around 7pm. Even then it was hard to say goodbye to those who we would not be seeing later that evening or the following day. Some of the Checketts then went to the Mt. Timpanogas Temple where the youth were able to do baptisms.

Grandaughters with Grandma Aleene
 Sunday those staying at the Lloyds (me, Heidi + babies, Nikki & David +Charity), as well as those at the Tates (Emily & Cameron, and Rachel) joined the rest of the Checketts already in Heber, there for church. I got to spend Father's Day with my father! After Church we were able to visit Grandpa's grave site and get a family picture there.
The Checketts at the grave sunday
Then Dad, David, and the boys left for NE and the rest of us went to a BBQ pu on my my mother's cousin. We there continued to see most of the LeBaron side that was up there for the weekend and a couple more. From there Emily, Cameron, and Rachel (with her boyfriend Thomas) left for Idaho. The remainder of us went back to the Lloyds to hang out and relax and talk. Monday morning I flew home. It was so worth it to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment