June 13, 2012

My Grandpa Homer

At my last visit with Grandpa January 2012

Yesterday, June 12 around 3:30 am my Grandfather Homer LeBaron crossed the veil to a wonderful reunion on the other side. He will be so very missed. He was an amazing man and missionary. Some of my earliest and most vivid memories of him were from our extended winter visit with him after Grandmother Vanita's death and while my dad was in Saudi Arabia during desert storm. We made spaghetti in the kitchen, picked out a Christmas tree, and stayed up "late" reading stories. He met and married Aleene and they went on a mission to then Zaire Africa. I wrote him letters and he wrote back. After they returned to the States they moved to Utah. So many memories in that home. Reunions, visits, council, blessings. Many reunions in that area. My Grandpa was able t give me my patriarchal blessing when I was 13 years old. When I went to Utah State my first year of college I got to spend some of my breaks with Grandma and Aleene and sometimes my cousin Tarin.
Grandpa and Aleene got their mission call to Nauvoo and I was so glad that they would be near the temple I wanted to receive my endowments in. And they were there for that very special day. Grandpa was so good at writing me and sending me stories from my ancestors while I was on my mission. I always looked forward to his cards and letters.
I was so grateful he was still alive when I met and married my wonderful husband. My Grandfather always had to approve them along with my parents. I am so grateful he did.
On break with Grandpa when I was at USU back in 2001
My last visit with him was in January. He was frail and thin and hard of hearing. But his love was there as always and I loved being with him. He is loved by all who knew him.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man and I'm glad you have so many memories of him. I'm sure it will be a wonderful reunion when you get to be with him again someday.

    ReplyDelete