September 02, 2010

Tract Select

 All pilots in the Air Force start out on T-6s aircraft for training (with the exception of those who train with the Navy). This is the basic training, a time of intense learning and weeding out. At the end of this phase of training comes the track select. At this point it is the first split and there are 4 tracts available.  First they can go to T-1s, which are trainers for heavies. This first option has the most slots. Second they can go to T-38s, which are trainers for fighters and bombers. This second option is more limited and the most coveted. Both the T-1 and T-38 are air force trainers. The second two options train outside the air force. The third option is T-44 training with the Navy. This third option trains most specifically for the C-130 air frame. The forth and most limited (0-2 slots per class) is helicopters. This forth training takes place with the army in Fort Rucker. Now the background is set.
We had made it through phase one and the time had come to find out what was going to happen to us now! Jon had been hoping for quite a while to qualify and obtain a slot to do helicopter training. That was his hope and goal. He filled out his dream sheet with his top choices: Helos, T-44, T-38, T-1 in that order. If he did not get helo's his plan at that time was to train on the T-44 to obtain a  HC-130 air frame (HC-130 is a special operations helo support plane). Ether way, I knew leaving Enid was very likely. The day before the Tract Select, the group was ask who would be willing to take a T-44, for the number available in this drop was unusually high. Thus we knew it would be one of the top 2 choices.
The day of tract select finally came. I was so nervous. One might think this is typical to be this nervous, but not everyone nor every wife is. Most are going to put T-38s first, and end up with T-1s. Ether way, the majority of the group would be staying in Enid, OK to finish their training. As for me, I knew this was a huge turning point in where our military career was going to go. I was therefore nervous.
In Enid I was blessed to have so many amazing friends! It truly is what made Enid enjoyable and bearable. As I alluded to, tract select is not a huge deal to everyone. The big deal on base is Assignment night. That is at the end of all the training the whole base turns up to find out what air frame and location you get. But for me, it felt like my assignment night. And I had so many wonderful friends come to be there with me! I had my neighbors Matt and Jenn on one side, my good friend Kaycee and her husband Jake Belka on the other. I had Brooke and Kevin Bishop, Sue Ellen and Waylon and their boys, all there to support me. I felt so very loved! And the time had come to know my fate.
There are moments I miss having the last name Checketts, because it is at the beginning of the alphabet, and Rodgers is at the end. This was one of those nights. They go in alphabetical order to be fair. so I had a long time of anticipation. Finally it was Jon's turn. He go up there and they said their funny little things about how he knows too much and corrects the instructor pilots. Then up on the screen came a T-44. It was not a helo slot. I knew he was disappointed. Jenn is like, 'That's what he wanted right?" I said, "No, it is not." But I felt the wave of relief in just knowing! I knew it was all going to be OK. I was very sad to leave my friends in Enid, but I had prepared myself that this day would come. And I knew for sure we would be moving. Thus our adventure started down to Corpus Christi, TX and Navy training.

No comments:

Post a Comment